If you want to cook your chicken and have something new and different to go along with it, try out this recipe! For a wine pairing, we recommend Mastroberardino Radici Fiano di Avellino or Argiolas Selegas.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2, 3.5 lb KOL Food pastured whole broilers
- 1 1/2 t ground alspice
- Kosher slat and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 c medium-grain rice, such as arborio
- 4 T coconut oil or margarine
- 1/2 c pine nuts
- 1/2 c slivered almonds
- 1/2 lb KOL Foods grass-fed ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 3 c KOL Foods chicken or poultry broth
- 1/2 T pomegranate molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove neck, rinse chickens under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly oil a large roasting pan and set chickens inside. Also place necks in pan along side the chickens. Rub the outside of each chicken with 1/2 t allspice and season the cavities with salt and pepper.
2. Roast the chickens for 30 minutes. Add 1 c water to the pan and roast for an additional 40 minutes or until instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees (take reading in the thigh without touching bone). Transfer chickens to a large platter and cover loosely with foil.
3. Meanwhile, rinse rice in sieve until water runs clear. Drain well.
4. Melt coconut oil in a medium saucepan. Add the pine nuts and almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the nuts to a plate.
5. Add ground meat to the saucepan and cook, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no pink remains. Stir in the rice, cinnamon, 1 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper, 3/4 of the toasted nuts and the remaining 1/2 t allspice. Add 2 1/2 c broth and bring to a boil.
6. Cover the rice and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir, continue cooking until the broth has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes longer. Remover rice from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle top with remaining nuts.
7. Meanwhile, pout the roasting pan juices into a small saucepan and skim off the fat. Set roasting pan over 2 burners and heat until sizzling. De-glaze pan with remaining 1/2 c broth and over over moderately high heat, scraping up as much brown bits as possible with a wooden spoon. Strain into the the juices in the small saucepan and whisk in the pomegranate molasses. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a warmed gravy boat.
8. Serve carved chicken over rice and topped with pomegranate jus.