Certifications and Shechita
All KOL Foods products are certified glatt kosher.
The Star-K is our hechsher, they certify all KOL Foods meat and poultry. (See the Star-K site for more information.)
KOL Foods Beef (both AT and GR) and Poultry are chassidishe shechita. (Lamb is not chassidishe shechita.)
In addition to the Star-K, our Duck are shechted and butchered in a facility that is also under the supervision of the CRC.
Green Memberships and Information
- American Grassfed Association - We are the only kosher member of the premier grass-fed organization in the USA
- KOL Foods is a Gold-level Green America Approved business
- We are excited to use only eco-friendly plant-based coolers
- KOL Foods is a Montgomery County (MD) Certified Green Business
- LEED (green building construction) Our headquarters are LEED Silver Certified
- We use only Green-e Energy Certified 100% WGES WindPower
- Our bank, TD Bank, has been carbon neutral since February 2010
- One of our slaughterhouses converts its waste to bio-diesel for its trucks
USDA Government Certifications
- Glatt Kosher
- 100% Grass-fed certified (Beef and Lamb)
- 100% Pastured (all products)
- Never fed GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
- No added antibiotics
- No added growth hormones*
- No confinement in barns, pens or feedlots
- Fed all vegetarian diet
- No added nitrites or nitrates
All of KOL Foods’ meat is shechted at slaughterhouses that use animal-welfare expert Dr. Temple Grandin's methods. These abattoirs are located near our ranches and farmers, so the animals don’t travel far.
KOL Foods carries two lines of glatt-kosher, 100% grass-fed beef – American Tradition, the only US grass-fed beef available on the kosher market, and Grassland Range, which hails from the lush pastures of Uruguay. All KOL Foods’ beef - no matter its provenance - is produced using "gold standard" slaughter techniques developed by Dr. Temple Grandin.
As the only glatt-kosher purveyor that exclusively sources 100% grass-fed meat, our mission is to enable people to simultaneously live by both their traditional and modern values (in an age where it can be quite tricky to do so) and not have to choose between them. We want you to truly know and trust that our beef, lamb, chicken, turkey and duck are healthy, humane, sustainable and deliciously mouthwatering. KOL Foods is what glatt-kosher should be.