Thank you to The Kosher Omnivore's Quest for this delicious heritage chicken recipe! We recommend that you serve the chicken with forbidden black rice, roasted baby bok choy, and pair it with a glass of chilled sake.
- 1 kosher heritage chicken cut into 4-8 pieces
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 2 tbsp. freshly ground coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Preheat oven to 300°. Thoroughly mix up all ingredients in a large bowl. If your bird is whole, cut it up and place in a roasting pan. Cover with sauce, cover with a tightly fitting lid or tin foil and place in oven. Braise until chicken is cooked through and tender, usually 30+ minutes per lb. (Don’t let your bird dry out! Cover pan tightly and add liquid if too much has evaporated.)
Once done cooking, if liquid is not thick enough, place sauce in skillet and gently boil until the sauce is sufficiently reduced.