Beef bacon and spinach are a fantastic salad combination. We recommend that you serve this dish with focaccia or other fresh bread. Enjoy!
- 3 slices KOL Foods 100% grass-fed Beef Bacon
- 1-2 Tbls good olive oil, as needed
- 1/2 small red onion
- 4 oz white button mushrooms
- 8 ounces, clean, dry, baby spinach
- 1 1/2 Tbs. reserved beef bacon grease (or beef bacon fat + olive oil to reach the correct volume)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- small sprinkle of kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- OPTIONAL: 3 hard boiled eggs
- OPTIONAL: chopped cherry tomatoes (I had some from my garden)
In a tiny bit of oil, fry the beef bacon until crispy/chewy. set aside on a paper towel.
Remove the warm grease from the pan with a spoon, add olive oil as needed to come up to 1 and 1/2 tablespoons, and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the warm skillet and return to medium heat.
Slice red onions very thinly, add to skillet. Slowly cook the onions until they’re caramelized and reduced. Set aside on a plate.
Slice mushrooms and add to the same skillet. Slowly cook the mushrooms until they’re caramelized and reduced. Set aside with the onions.
Chop up beef bacon into little nibbles.
OPTIONAL: Peel and slice eggs.
Make hot beef bacon dressing! Add the 1 1/2 set aside bacon grease/oil, vinegar, honey, and Dijon to the skillet over medium-low heat. Whisk to combine and heat through.
Place spinach in a large bowl. Add onions, mushrooms, and beef bacon on top. Pour hot dressing over everything; toss to combine.
Top with optional eggs and/or tomatoes and serve immediately.