The purpose of brining is to prevent meats from drying out in the cooking process and to maintain a tender, moist texture. Due to the salt, the chicken absorbs water, increasing the amount of water it would otherwise have when cooked.
- 4 chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken (triple recipe for 15 lb turkey), rinsed under cold water
- 8 oz Pure Ocean Table Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Firmly-packed brown sugar
- 15 whole black peppercorns
- 1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
Combine all ingredients, except the chicken, the day before cooking. Marinate chicken in brine for one hour before grilling or baking.