One Pan Roasted Chicken
Looking for a simple yet delicious recipe with minimal clean up? You've found it! This one pot dinner centered around our pasture raised whole broilers is sure to be a crowd pleasure. This dish is perfect for a hearty winter gathering around the table. Place the chicken in a bed of carrots and potatoes - or whatever veggies you please!
1 whole chicken
1 Tbsp sweet or smoky paprika
1/2 tsp hot paprika (optional)
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
juice and zest from half a lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 Yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
4 garlic cloves, left whole
salt and pepper
fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a sealable plastic bag.
- Combine dried spices, lemon juice and zest and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour over chicken and seal the bag. Massage the marinade all over the chicken until completely coated. Place in fridge overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Place potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic cloves in the bottom of a roasting pan, or spread out in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with around 1 Tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper. If using a roasting rack place chicken on top, allowing spice mix to run all over veggies.
- If using an upright roaster, place chicken on rack in the middle of the large baking sheet, so that the veggies are surrounding the chicken.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Reduce to 425 degrees and flip vegetables to ensure they get caramelized on all sides. If using an upright chicken roaster, pour some of the liquid all over the potatoes and carrots.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Allow chicken to cool slightly before cutting. Serve with roasted veggies and fresh parsley if desired.