This rib recipe is perfect for when you want a flavorful, tender rack of ribs but don't have access to a grill or a smoker. Heck, after trying these, you may no longer need to cook ribs any other way!
For the rub:
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 6 star anise or 2 teaspoons anise seeds ground star anise
- 11/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Szechuan peppercorns or black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
For the spare ribs:
- 8 spare ribs from KOL foods
- 2 tablespoons Asian Five Spice Rub (see below)
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
To make the rub, combine all ingredients in a spice grinder and blend until finely ground. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 months.
Trim as much excess fat from the spare ribs as possible. Remove fat from the top and bottom of the ribs with a sharp knife.
Mix the five spice powder and salt and pepper together. Rub the mixture all over the ribs.
Bring a large frying pan over high heat and place the ribs in the pan being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes turning half way through to brown each side.
Remove ribs to a broiler pan with slits. Preheat oven to 325 and set the pan of ribs inside the hot oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours. Remove from oven and cover with tinfoil tightly letting the meat steam.
When ready to serve, mix the orange zest with orange juice and ginger and baste the ribs. Reheat in 300 degree oven and enjoy.