Fruit and cheese blintzes are an iconic Shavuot dish but if you need to give your sweet tooth a break, try our Savory Sea Salt Cheese Blintz recipe!
A traditional blintz is a thin, rolled pancake filled with cheese and topped with fruit sauce, but who said we have to stick to tradition all the time?! Don’t get us wrong, all blintzes are wonderful but the tart, flaky sea salt makes this recipe divine.
Yield: While this recipe serves six, save yourself the time and make it a double batch because they’re sure to go fast!
Cooking and Prep Time: 45 min
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound(8 ounces) low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 pound(8 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1 egg
* Contains: Gluten, eggs, dairy
Step 1: Make the Batter
- In a bowl beat the eggs, flour, and sugar until combined.
- Mix in the milk and water a little bit at a time until you get a crepe-like batter.
- Heat up your frying pan on medium/high heat and always spray with nonstick spray before spooning in your batter. While that’s heating up, let’s move on to the filling and salty topping!
* Tip: Make sure to let the batter stand for 15 minutes. It will definitely turn out better that way!
Step 2: Make the Filling
- Heat your butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add minced onion and sauté until soft, about five minutes or until translucent.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheddar cheese, sea salt, black pepper, cream cheese, cottage cheese, egg, and sautéed onion. Combine using an electric mixer on a slow speed.
Step 3: Assemble the Blintzes
- Pour in just enough batter to coat the pan. When it starts to bubble and the bottom is slightly brown, flip the blintz wrapper and let it sit for another 30 seconds or so on the other side; slide onto a plate. Repeat this step until your batter runs out.
- To assemble your blintzes, scoop a heaping tablespoon of the cheesy onion filling across the center of the blintz. Fold in the three sides and roll until tight.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the rolled blintzes and fry until golden.
- While they’re hot, sprinkle your sea salt over the blintzes, serve, and enjoy!