Stock is one of the most simple recipes out there, yet it is unbelievably delicious and packed with nutrition. Some would even consider it a superfood! When it comes to homemade stock, there is no comparison. And if you want the tastiest, richest, most healthy stock around, try making it with KOL Foods soup bones!
- 2‐3 lbs KOL Foods Soup Bones, roasted (poultry, beef or lamb)
- 1 large onion, quartered and skinned
- 3 large carrots, cut in half
- 3 large celery stalks, cut in thirds (you can also use the inner few stalks and all the leaves from two bunches of celery)
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 shallots (optional)
- 1 large leek (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T vinegar (helps pull the nutrients out of the bones)
- ½ full of whole pepper corns
- ½ full of dried thyme, sage and tarragon leaves
1. In an 8 qt stock pot add all ingredients, add enough filtered water to just cover ingredients, and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, decrease heat to a very slow simmer (should barely bubble) and cook for 2.5‐3 hours. Do not let stock boil; boiling will make your stock cloudy.
3. Discard bones and vegetables and filter through strainer with cheese cloth into a large container.
4. After cooling stock for 2 hours put in the refrigerator for 24‐48 hours. Then skim hardened fat. Save to use as schmaltz. The schmaltz will be slightly green in color from all the herbs and veggies - herb infused schmaltz, yummy!
5. Put stock in 4, 1 qt containers and top each off with filtered water if needed.
Makes 1 gallon of stock
** Use within 3 days or freeze for up to 12 months.
** Never salt your stock, salt your sauce, soup, gravy, etc.