This pomegranate BBQ chicken dish would be great for Rosh Hashanah! A pretty sweet way to bring in the New Year :-)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses (3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar plus 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 chickens, cut up into eighths
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Sauté the garlic slices until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Sauté the chopped onions in saucepan until translucent.
Add the ketchup, mustard, pomegranate molasses, and honey to the onions. Add the cooked garlic. Mix the sauce well and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally until thickened.
Lay out the chicken pieces in a roasting pan in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
Thickly brush each piece of chicken with the pomegranate barbecue sauce.
Cook in preheated oven for 30–40 minutes until juices run clear when pierced with a knife, or until a meat thermometer registers 160° F. Garnish with the pomegranate seeds.