This recipe is a quick way to make a very fancy dish in 15 minutes! Another huge plus: it can go with almost any side, such as cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes, salads, orzo, and more!
- 4, 100% Grass-Fed New York Strip or Filet Mignon Steaks from KOL Foods
- Oil for frying (we recommend grapeseed oil)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or margarine
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced (substitute with your favorite mushroom)
- 8 ounces pearl onions, peeled
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ½ cup beef or chicken bone broth from KOL Foods
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes to allow them to come to room temperature. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
Heat frying oil in a large pan and sauté the onions, uncovered until browned and tender. Remove and repeat the process with the mushrooms, but do not remove from the pan. Add the onions to the sautéed mushrooms along with 1 teaspoon coconut oil. Sauté until the coconut oil is browned. Remove onions and mushrooms from pan.
Add the wine and the sherry to the same pan and reduce the volume by one-half. Add broth and reduce by one-half again. Add the mushrooms and onions and season with salt and pepper. Cover and leave over very low heat while you cook the steaks.
Set a large pan over high heat until it is smoking hot. Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with frying oil and add the steaks, two at a time, or more if they fit comfortably. Do not crowd the pan. Sauté for 4-5 minutes per side for a medium-rare 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak. Adjust time for the size of steak and desired doneness.
Season with salt and pepper and serve with mushrooms and onions atop and alongside.