Pickled turkey gizzards may sound like a strange concept and look even stranger, but don't let either of those things fool you! This recipe is delicious, and we can't wait for you to try it.
- 2.5 lbs KOL Foods pastured turkey gizzards
- 1 pint white vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices (according to preference; may include bay leaf, coriander seed, cloves, celery seed, peppercorns, allspice, juniper berries, chili flakes, mustard seed etc.)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- ½ lemon, sliced
1. Bake gizzards at 275° for 3-4 hours or until cooked through and let cool.
2. Remove all fat from the gizzards and cut into bite-size pieces.
3. Combine vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, dry mustard and gizzards in a stainless steel pan.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Layer the gizzards, the sliced onion and the lemon in a jar.
6. Pour the brine over and let set in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.