Did you know that cowboys in the wild west would commonly eat chili supplemented with beef from the cattle that they were driving? As it turns out, their cattle and our cattle have a lot in common! Theirs was, as ours is, 100% grass-fed and organic! So if you are looking for the true, western cowboy experience with your chile, this is the way to go!
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- ½ onion‐chopped
- 2 stalks celery‐chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic‐minced
- 1, 4.5 oz. can green chopped chilies
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2, 16 oz. cans of cooked Great Northern or Butter beans
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1‐2 teaspoon chili powder (or more if you prefer it hotter)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Tabasco Sauce to taste (optional)
1. Brown ground beef in a large pot. Add onion, celery, garlic, chilies, and oil, and cook until vegetables are translucent.
2. In blender, puree 1 can of the beans, flour, and 1 cup stock. Add this mixture and the rest of the ingredients in the pot and simmer for ½ hour to blend the flavors.
3. Garnish with a dash of paprika or fresh cilantro
Makes 6‐8 servings