Here at KOL Foods, we love chili. This is our recipe for chili with ground turkey.
- 2 cups dried black turtle beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. KOL Foods ground turkey
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- ¼ cup chili seasoning
- ¼ tsp. crushed chipotle chili
- 2 cans (each 14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
1. Drain the beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium‐high heat, reduce the heat to medium‐low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid. set aside.
2. In a large Dutch oven over medium‐high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large chunks, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and warm the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onions, jalapeños and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste, chili seasoning and crushed chipotle chili and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes with their juices, the ground turkey, black beans and 1 ½ cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium‐low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
4. Ladle the chili into warmed bowls. Serve with green onions for garnishing.