To prepare this dish, it takes 5 minutes. Then, you must wait 7 days. The slicing time decreases as your experience level goes up! Please enjoy this recipe from our very own CEO, Gidon van Emden.
- 3 lbs KOL Foods wild Alaskan Sockeye salmon fillet - make sure to remove any bones
- 1 cup coarse salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- salt and water for brine
1. Mix salt and sugar together using a whisk. Spread half of the mixture on the bottom of a flat glass or non-porous plastic dish. Place salmon skin side down on top of the mixture.
2. Spread the remaining mixture on top of salmon fillet. Cover dish with plastic wrap.
3. Refrigerate 3 days. The salt-sugar mixture will liquefy as it draws moisture out of the fish.
4. Mix up a brine solution: 0.5 tbsp salt for each cup of water, and pour enough brine in the dish to cover the salmon.
5. Refrigerate for 3 more days.
6. Remove fish from liquid, discard the liquid, rinse fish and pat dry.
7. Refrigerate uncovered on plate or board for 24 hours.
8. Slice thinly.