8 oz dried or 15 oz can Flageolts, Cannellini, or Great Northern beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 lb KOL Foods Hickory Smoked Andouille Turkey Sausage
3/4 cup leek, washed and chopped
3/4 cup shallot, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Swiss chard leaves, remove and reserve stems and coarsely chop
Reserved Swiss chard stems, minced
Course ground black pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
5-6 cups KOL Foods Poultry or Chicken bone broth
1 cup carrots, peeled, halved longways and sliced into 1/4 inch half moons
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes, drained
1 bay leaf
1.5 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
3/4 teaspoon dried herbs de Provence
1-2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
1. Soak the beans over night in water. If using canned beans, drain well.
2. Saute turkey sausage in oil until browned over medium-high heat; remove from heat and slice into 1/2 inch disks.
3. In the same pan, saute the shallots, leeks, chard stems and garlic over medium-high heat in sausage drippings until the onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper; stir in tomato paste.
4. In a large soup pot, add sauted vegetables, bone broth, carrots, dried beans (if using canned, add at the end with the sausage), diced tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and herbs de Provence. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer until carrots and beans are tender; about 10-15 minutes.
5. Add Swiss chard leaves, sausage and vinegar. Simmer until chard is cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
6. Taste soup liquid and season with salt and pepper.